‘Post Covid Syndrome’ or ‘Long Covid’ has arisen as a possible long term complication after a Coronavirus infection. The symptoms can be serious and wide-ranging, affecting the lungs, heart, brain, kidneys, stomach and nervous system. Headaches, shortness of breath, sore throat and feeling exhausted are common.
The syndrome closely mimics such conditions as Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and ME as well as post-SARS which is characterized by persistent fatigue, diffuse myalgia, weakness, depression, and non-restorative sleep.
Many ME and CFS sufferers find relief from symptoms through regular High Dose Oxygen Therapy. There is growing data on physiological effects of HDOT on different injured tissue, including the brain.
Benefits of HDOT:
- Tissue oxygenation – During HDOT, tissue oxygenation can be increased by 25-30 times.
- Regeneration of blood vessels.
- Mitochondria function restoration – Both animal and human studies have shown HDOT can improve and restore the decreased mitochondrial function in different parts of our body including injured brain.
- Downregulation of inflammatory cytokines.
- Stem cells recruitment – HDOT induces stem cells mobilization from their storage at the bone marrow to the blood stream and from there to entire body tissues. The number of circulating stem cells increases up to 3-8 times compared to pre HDOT level.
Further information can be found at the link below: